Critical Repair Program
The Habitat for Humanity Williamson-Maury’s Critical Home Repair program provides major repairs at a discounted rate to keep homeowners safe and warm, and from being displaced from their homes.
If you need a critical repair or know someone who does, please call 615-690-8090.
What repair services are provided?
Habitat critical repair does not address:
- Basic painting
- Replacing carpeting or flooring (unless for structural reasons)
- Cosmetic repairs
- Bathroom renovations or remodels unless safety, code, and accessibility issues exist
- Miscellaneous repairs not listed will be taken into consideration
Who can apply?
To be eligible to apply:
- Your home must be a single-family, detached house.
- You must occupy the house and have been living there for at least three years.
- You must have homeowners insurance.
- Your home must be in Williamson or Maury County.
- The title holder of the home must be the one to apply.
- Property taxes and mortgage payments on your home must be current.
- Income must be 60% or below the HUD Median Income as noted in the Maximum Gross Monthly Income Chart found here.
How does the process work?
Application Process – 3 to 6 months
- Community Service Requirements – sweat equity hours are required of all program participants
- Schedule of Construction – will be based on completion of community service requirements and amount of time needed to complete the repairs
- Repayment – will be based on the final cost of repairs and is determined by your HUD income level. The discounted balance will be paid over a short repayment period.
All those interested in applying must first complete an over-the-phone application. If all the criteria are met, applicant will be asked to fill out a larger application and provide needed materials. HFHWM staff members can also come to applicant’s home to complete the application if need be.
Background and Credit Checks (1-3 months after application is received): We will perform background checks on all members of the household over the age of 16. We will also check the credit of applicants and will ensure that mortgage payments and taxes on the home are up to date.
Home Visits (2-4 months after application is received): We will schedule initial home visits with households meeting the requirements. The Critical Repair Committee will review the applications, and you will be notified of the committee’s decisions by mail. During the process, home visits will be made during the repair, at completion, and at the three months after the repair.
Approval (1-2 months after your home visit): Once you are approved, you will be contacted to sign your participation contract. At this point, you will begin completing your community service hours and paying your deposit.
We are an equal housing lender and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, handicap, or familial status.