Critical Home Repair Program
Habitat for Humanity Williamson-Maury’s Critical Home Repair Program provides major repairs at an affordable rate to keep local residents safe, warm, and from being displaced.
If you need a critical repair or know someone who does, please call 615-690-8090.
Repair services include:
- Unsafe roof or floor
- Ramps & accessibility needs
- Lack of heat or cooling
- Electrical hazards
- Interior/Exterior work needed to maintain the home
- Plumbing hazards
The Critical Repair Program does not address:
- Basic painting
- Replacing carpeting or flooring (unless for structural reasons)
- Cosmetic repairs
- Bathroom renovations or remodels unless safety, code, or accessibility issues exist
Miscellaneous repairs not listed will be taken into consideration.
To be eligible for the Critical Repair Program:
- Your home must be a single-family, detached house.
- You must occupy the house and have been living there for at least three years.
- Homeowners insurance is preferred.
- Your home resides in Williamson, Maury, Decatur, Hickman, or Lawrence County.
- Property taxes and mortgage payments on your home must be current.
- Income must fall between 20% and 80% of the HUD Median Income as noted in the Maximum Gross Monthly Income Chart found here.
The title holder of the home must be the one to apply.
Community Service Requirement:
Similar to our Homeownership Program, sweat equity hours are requested of all program participants.
All those interested in applying must first complete a pre-application. If all the criteria are met, applicant will be asked to fill out a larger application and provide needed documentation. HFHWM staff members can also come to applicant’s home to help complete the application if need be.
- Background and Credit Checks (1-3 months after application is received)
We will perform background checks on all members of the household over the age of 16. We will also check to make sure that mortgage payments and taxes on the home are up to date.
- Home Visits (2-4 months after application is received)
We will schedule initial home visits with households meeting the requirements. The Critical Home Repair Committee will review the applications, and you will be notified of the committee’s decisions by mail. During the process, home visits will be made during the repair, at completion, and at the three months after the repair.
- Approval (1-2 months after your home visit)
Once you are approved, you will be contacted to sign your participation contract. At this point, you will begin completing your community service hours and paying your deposit, if applicable.
The full application process can take approximately 3 to 6 months.
- Construction Schedule– will be based on completion of community service requirements and amount of time needed to complete the repairs
- Repayment – will be based on the final cost of repairs and is determined by your HUD income level. The discounted balance will be paid over a short repayment period.
Want to sponsor a critical repair? Click here to learn how.
We are an equal housing lender and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, handicap, or familial status.