2019 Women Build
Each spring more than 10,000 women raise their hammers at Habitat for Humanity construction sites across the country in recognition of National Women Build Week. National Women Build challenges women to devote at least one day to help build affordable housing in their local communities.
We began work on our ninth annual Women Build home on April 2019 in Fairview, TN.
Want to know more about Women Build? Check out this video and the information below.
The sponsorship cost of the home is $70,000. Each volunteer who participates has a fundraising goal of $250 to go toward the cost of the house, and a volunteer goal of at least 1 day. To help participants raise money, resources are provided below with ideas and step-by-step instructions on how to raise the funds. No experience in either fundraising or house-building is necessary.
Women Build Kickoff Resources
- Slides from Kickoff presentation (please read through these slides for pertinent information)
- Please fill out the pledge card and return it to Kim Randell.
- Hammer Fundraising Tool
- Fundraising letters (template – feel free to adapt to your story. Donors can also give safely and securely on our website, as well as send in checks to 511 West Meade Blvd. Franklin, TN 37064. Please have your supporters note that the donation is for your Women Build fundraising goal.)
- General Women Build flyer to post at your office or share with friends
- How to Create a Facebook Fundraiser PDF – Facebook is a great way to raise funds for individual volunteer
- First Giving link for Women Build 2019
- Lunch donation details – we are still in great need for volunteers or groups to help feed our volunteers on build days
- Join us at Hammers & High Heels!
- Hammers & High Heels silent auction donation form – We are always in need of great silent auction items for Hammers & High Heels on June 3rd. Some examples: golf pros, timeshares, food gift certificates, vacation stays, tickets to events/games, signed memorabilia, airline miles, wine or liquor, jewelry, art, and “experiences” (fly fishing, hot air balloon, sky diving, rafting, cooking in one’s home, etc.). If you would like to donate an item, please print out this form and bring it to the HFHWM office (info on form).
Women Build Sponsorship
We are also seeking sponsors for this year’s Women Build & Hammers & High Heels.
Sponsorships range from $2,500 to $10,000 and include a range of benefits both at the build site and Hammers & High Heels.
We are excited to welcome Maria Herrera to our homeownership program.
Maria emigrated from Colombia 16 years ago, leaving behind a difficult marriage. “Those days with my ex-husband were emotionally traumatizing, and it has taken me years to recover. My hope for the future is that I will live a life of peace and service to others.”
She came to New Jersey without speaking a word of English, so her job prospects were limited. She worked as a waitress and a cook among other jobs that allowed her to care for her young child. But determined to build a better life for herself and her son, Maria enrolled in community college to master the English language.
In 2005, Maria; her mother, Estella; and her son Abraham relocated to Middle Tennessee to be near her sister. “It was pretty rough in New Jersey, she explains. “There was a lot of gang activity, and I worried all the time about my son. I love living somewhere safe, but it has been tough to make ends meet in Williamson County. We live in a 2-bedroom apartment, so I share my room with my son. Abraham is ecstatic about having a room of his own!”
Maria works two jobs, one as a cashier at Costco and a second as a part-time administrative assistant at St. Phillips Church. She is overwhelmed with gratitude, often to the point of tears: “We are so grateful to everyone at Habitat for Humanity for this opportunity. It is a blessing to have the community gather together to help our family. My hope is that my home will extend beyond blessing only my family and that it will become a blessing for others as well.”
What is the Women Build?
The Women Build is a Habitat Build where women of all walks of life come together to address the housing crisis that faces many of the women and children of Williamson and Maury Counties.
Do I need to know anything about construction? Absolutely not! We encourage women who are interested in learning construction skills to volunteer, or women who are just looking to get involved in the community.
What if I am new to the community?
No problem! The Women Build is an excellent way to meet people. It’s an memorable experience you’ll never forget!
When does the build start? April 2018
Are there any requirements?
Each volunteer is asked to raise $250 toward the house, but if you want to raise more, you are welcome to do so! We have tools to help you achieve this goal and are here for support!
Can my teenager help on the build?
All volunteers on the work site must be 16 years old or older – no exceptions due to Federal Labor Laws. Volunteers 16-17 years old are allowed to participate in construction, but cannot get on the roof or operate power tools.
Who can I contact with questions?
Please contact HFHWM Volunteer Development Manager Rain Fisher at 615-550-5619